Why Are Indian Archives Coming Together?

“Milli”, a group of people interested in archives, organised a series of events for International Archives Week for a second year running. What does it aim to achieve?   “I belong to River Teesta, and I belong to Mount Khangchendzonga,” said Minket Lepcha, a filmmaker and former teacher in Darjeeling, before narrating river folklore told […]

Dancing with Cells, Surfing the Laminar Flow

Ahead of Satish Dhawan’s birth anniversary on 25 September, his daughter Jyotsna writes about her childhood on the IISc campus, life beyond, and her father’s indelible presence In the 1960s, while our parents (mostly fathers) worked away in labs and offices, libraries and classrooms, the children of IISc staff (mostly barefoot and unsupervised) explored that […]

From Glassblower to Technologist

Dwarakanathan R, a former glassblower, has worked at IISc for 47 years. Now officially retired, the 71-year-old self-proclaimed “workaholic” maintains machinery at the Centre for Nano Science and Engineering (CeNSE). In this interview, he talks to CONNECT about what it’s like to be a glassblower, his love for the artistic possibilities of glasswork, and his […]

It Takes a Village

Lab techs and project assistants, toolmakers and maintenance crew make invaluable contributions to research projects     Sandeep Eswarappa, an assistant professor in the Department of Biochemistry in IISc, works with small, almost microscopic animals called tardigrades. As a young investigator setting up a new lab with an unfamiliar model system, he needed all the […]

Behind The Scenes

A photo story on the people that provide crucial services to the IISc community Girigowda PS has been a security guard for four years. Prior to that he worked at a garment factory, and moved here at his family members’ insistence. Some of them work here as well.   Annapoorna CS has been a hostel […]

Roddam Narasimha: A Tribute

An eminent fluid dynamicist reminisces about her mentor’s many distinguishing qualities     On a bus journey long ago, I fell into a chance conversation with the enthusiastic high school student sitting next to me. She confided her dreams in me: she dearly wished to be a pilot. If this didn’t happen, she had a […]

Making IISc More Inclusive

A group called Queer and Straight Allies at IISc is working to support LGBTQ+ students     “I had read about IISc having a queer group before I came here,” says Anwesha, an MTech student. “I was excited to meet people whom I could relate to as I didn’t have any queer friends before that.” […]

Food For Thought

Owners, students and faculty share their stories of IISc’s eateries   Anindo Roy stood aghast as the excavator pulled down Prakruthi Veg, considered by many an iconic canteen in the campus. “It didn’t feel good. It was like the main building suddenly disappeared,” the PhD student of Materials Engineering says. “All the alumni I speak […]

Making Safety a Priority

The Office of Laboratory Safety and Environmental Health (OLSEH) at IISc, barely three years old, is on a mission to bring the 111-year-old Institute’s safety practices up to global standards. CONNECT caught up with the Chair of OLSEH, Sushobhan Avasthi, Associate Professor at the Centre for Nano Science and Engineering, who spoke about the setting […]