When Teachers Become Students Again

Tracing the growth of a model training programme at IISc’s Challakere campus   Smita Bala Panda is among the 112 teachers who have travelled from Odisha to participate in the Teachers’ Training Programme at the Talent Development Centre (TDC), in the IISc Challakere campus. She covered the journey from Ganjam district to Bangalore via train, […]

‘I Have Worked with Generations of Students and Staff’

Rosa John Samuel has been working at IISc for 36 years as a temporary employee. She has spent most of her time at the Primate Research Laboratory and Central Animal Facility, and has worked in various administrative and technical roles in the Division of Biological Sciences. In this piece, she recounts her experiences of growing […]

Chasing Stars

Astrae, the astronomy club of IISc, recently embarked on an expedition to capture the Milky Way   Dusk was just setting in and the early stars were twinkling when the bus carrying a bunch of students and faculty members rumbled into the Challakere campus of IISc, late one May evening. The visitors were part of […]

The Good, the Bad and the Ambivalent: Social Media to Scientists

Researchers at IISc talk about their social media presence and its influence on their professional lives   There has long been a perception that scientists are reclusive and asocial. However, this stereotype is being challenged by the rising number of them who tweet and post on Facebook and LinkedIn. Scientists today have more opportunities than […]

My Journey From Field Assistant to Information Scientist

From assisting Prof Madhav Gadgil in his field work, to retiring as the librarian of the Division of Biological Sciences, Yashwant Kanade looks back at almost four decades with IISc   I was born on 16 January, 1962 in Sirsi, Uttara Kannada. After finishing primary school, even though there was a private school near my […]